Friday, April 27, 2012

Anticipation

Photo credit*
In a couple days B and I will be marking our one-year anniversary of engagement. Both of us know very well that we went against the "norm" of engagement length, and even more so with the majority of it being spent through long-distance. In the beginning of our relationship one of the things I feared the most was long-distance--I had seen its negative effects on many and I did not want to go through that myself. But it's funny, because once God sets you on a path made especially for you, there's no turning back. As much as I may have wanted to turn back and go the easier route, I have gained certain insights that I would not have, were it not for the way things have been.

Bible study this week was about the marriage supper of the Lamb. We went through a few specifics of Jewish wedding tradition, and what struck me the most was the correlation from earthly marriage to our heavenly one. But as far as marriage goes, what comes before is the inevitable time of preparation and anticipation.

The Christian life on earth is a lot like LDR. We are expectantly hoping for our Bridegroom's return, knowing He is gone to "prepare a place" for us. Yet this time of waiting is not without its challenges and pitfalls. The bride's primary focus is to purify herself--making herself ready for the Groom. What does this mean? "By washing of the water of the Word." We long for direct communication with an invisible God--we must soak ourselves in what He has penned for us throughout the ages. Pray them back to Him. If we forget these lines of communication, our hearts will grow weak, just like any relationship without real, loving communication will grow faint and lifeless. I write this more for myself than anything.

As much as I am excited for my actual earthly wedding day, so much more am I looking forward to that day when we can see Jesus in all His splendid beauty, face-to-face. Cannot wait!!! :)

I see Your face in every sunrise
The colors of the morning are inside Your eyes
The world awakens in the light of the day
I look up to the sky and say
You’re beautiful

I see Your power in the moonlit night
Where planets are in motion and galaxies are bright
We are amazed in the light of the stars
It’s all proclaiming who You are
You’re beautiful, You're beautiful

I see you there hanging on a tree
You bled and then you died and then you rose again for me
Now you are sitting on Your heavenly throne
Soon we will be coming home
You’re beautiful, you're beautiful

When we arrive at eternity’s shore
Where death is just a memory and tears are no more
We’ll enter in as the wedding bells ring
Your bride will come together and we’ll sing
You’re beautiful, You're beautiful, You're beautiful

Beautiful||Phil Wickham

No comments:

Post a Comment