Tuesday, December 13, 2011

180

In the middle of this semester one of my students was having huge issues with one of his classmates. They were constantly bickering and fighting, and during elementary strings they would even get up out of their chairs to yell at each other or call each other a name. I was appalled with this behavior and spoke to them both several times, but it got to a point where I had to contact the parents. After a note home, my student's father wrote back and said they had a talk and to let him know if there were any further problems.

Since then, this student has had a complete 180 in his behavior. He is no longer bitter, mean, or caustic with his classmates (or with me). He is helpful and participative, and most of all respectful. Being a 5th grader, of course he will still have his faults, but whenever I remind him that he is doing something he's not supposed to, he will always snap back (sometimes with a funny over-done apology in Japanese and profuse bowing, but I let that go). He is my best string player, because he is the one that is the most with-it. I have been so proud of him for the turn-around.

Today I slipped a note into his violin case after school and he said "oh thank you," when he saw it. I walked away to do other things, not wanting to draw attention, but later he caught my eye from across the room and beamed a grateful smile at me. I remembered the angry, unhappy, mean little boy that he was, saw the difference in the smile, and my heart melted a little bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment