Friday, January 27, 2012

There's a light that shines when I'm on the road

Currently listening: 53 steps

Last weekend I went up to Taipei to spend the lunar new year with my relatives. I realized a little too late that I had planned more time with them than they were able to spend with me, so I psyched myself up for doing some explorations on my own. I ended up going on quite an endeavor hunting for a new journal, as the one I've been using is running out of pages. Eventually, using my MRT savvy and some helpful maps along the way, I finally found a place that was open that had a whole floor of stationary goods. I still haven't outgrown my love for stationary -- it was a good place to spend an afternoon.
After days of searching, the next perfect journal is procured at last! (Look closely -- what island is in the middle? :D)
Our CNY meal was held over lunch time on CNY Eve with all of my mom's side of the family that could make it. Having it at a restaurant buffet with a time limit took away some of the warmth and the tradition, but it was still good to spend time with my relatives again, especially my cousins.


I also went a couple times to my uncle's house to visit my grandma. It's hard to believe sometimes that she's my last remaining grandparent... it's good to see her walking around now (the was a point where she wasn't able to) and especially good to see her smile. I believe it when my relatives tell me how happy she is when she sees her children and grandchildren all together.


I took a day trip with some new-found friends to Wulai, a mountainous area outside Taipei city and home of the Atayal aboriginal tribe. It was a fun day filled with specialty foods, hot springs, and fun conversation. Note to self: when soaking in hot springs, be sure to drink plenty of water! I got a little dehydrated from all the heat...

Roast pig, anyone?


Cherry blossoms!


I relented on my usual pork-abstinence for these yummy sausages :)
It was a fun day, despite the angry headache I got from the dehydration. I felt right at home with my new friends who either grew up in the States/Canada or spent a good chunk of their lives over there. I guess it just shows how like will always gravitate towards like. But that's why we call them "homies."

A little bit blurry :(
Happy year of the Dragon! I am excited for what this year will bring -- I have a feeling deep in my bones that it's going to be EPIC.

No comments:

Post a Comment