Thursday, February 16, 2012

Spiritual Emphasis Week

This week is Spiritual Emphasis Week at our school, which means we've brought in a guest speaker and arranged special meetings to get the kids thinking about their spiritual lives. I've really appreciated this because working in a Christian school sometimes makes me take for granted that the kids have already heard the gospel and come to terms with it. I didn't really realize that some of these kids come from homes that are opposed to Christ where the parents tell them never to believe in Him. Really eye-opening for me.

The middle schoolers have been assigned to small groups to discuss the messages from the meetings and any questions that may have been raised. When I found out that I had been assigned 6th grade boys, I sort of raised an eyebrow. Mixed-gender counseling was one of the conservative-Christian taboos that everyone knew about, I thought. But then I realized later (after meeting with my group) that it was because they assigned the hardened, cynical, non-believing kids to older and wiser teachers. Makes sense.

But still, even my "easy" group of Christian/Christian-sympathetic boys have raised some deep questions. These 6th graders, still so freshly out of elementary school, are grappling with issues like "If God knew people would reject Him before He created them, why did He create them?" or "How do I know the Bible is real?"

It amazed me today when these boys would flip back and forth between silly and serious, when one boy looked me straight in the eye and asked me earnestly, "How do I know if I really believe in God?" while the rest of his buddies continued joking about something random.

I sensed that many of these kids are so close...so close to realizing the full weight of God's grace and His awesome Love for them.

 It makes my heart ache.

It makes me think of the sight of several of them standing to the call of "If you decide to follow Jesus with your life, please stand to your feet right now." Kids that I see joking in the hallways, snickering in the back. Standing in a moment of seriousness, for One who's blood was shed in love for them. This is real. Oh, if only they knew how real it is.


Join me in praying for these kids.
<3

=================================
 In other news, I learned today that His Hands, the ministry I am so fond of and love working with (the little that I do) is going through a major change with new governmental policies, and they need our help in prayers and finances. Please consider donating to this precious, lovely, amazing ministry. Even little gifts make great change! :)

Go to link below for more information:
http://hishandstaiwan.chipin.com/his-hands-taiwan

No comments:

Post a Comment