Thursday, February 23, 2012

Small victories: field trip

When the 5th grade classroom teacher sent an email about chaperones for the upcoming field trip, I jumped at the chance. Not only was I interested in the destination, but I knew that going on the field trip with my students would give me time with them outside of my classroom, something that I covet when I only see them twice a week for 40 minutes at a time.

It was probably one of the oddest field trips I'd ever been on. Not that it wasn't good, but joining it from the flip side was definitely a different experience. And even though I may or may not have looked like one of the students, I chose not to care and took my job very seriously (there was one point where I wondered where the other chaperones were when the kids were running all over the Hakka museum). The cheers I heard when the students were informed I'd be going with them were encouraging. I realized I was quite popular with the girls -- something I didn't quite expect since I was almost sure I had broken the hearts (read: pride) of a couple of them and that they still held it against me. But such is not the case. I realized that as much bad rap these students get, they are still children, ready to be loved and to give love in their own child-like ways.

In writing this, a song just came onto my playlist that I would call my theme song for my first few months in Taiwan. It recalled the searching and seeking during those few months, while learning to rest in His Answer alone. But I also remembered back to the first semester of teaching, that "sink or swim" feeling, where I struggled to "learn the ropes" when it felt like I was designing their layout at the same time. I was overwhelmed with doing my job.

This semester is different. I've gotten the hang of this whole job thing. I know who my students are -- they are more than just wiggling bodies that fill the chairs in my room for 40 minutes at a time. Now I am getting to know their individualities--their likes and dislikes (including crushes, something I was able to observe in the unfolding drama of the day) ... and I am thoroughly enjoying it. They brought many smiles to my face and heart with their amusing antics, their genuine appreciation, their excitement, and their distinct originalities.

Lately I've been learning to think of people with gratitude for who they are and how God is working in them. I believe that a heart of gratitude overcomes a heart of judgment. I would say that it's not just for adults who are my peers but it goes the same for my students as well.
And I am grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment