Sunday, May 20, 2012

Like a sudden gust of wind



This morning the floodgates of heaven seemed to open upon our usual sunny town, with the sky dark and brooding as it unleashed angry tears upon the land.
My bag was drenched by the time I got to church, so I left it open on the floor to get a little more airing out. During the sermon I noticed my phone went off. I thought it strange, because no one usually calls me on Sunday morning. I sensed trouble. Later I checked the number and confirmed the sense when I recognized it to be from home.

At home I checked my email and found one from my sister, telling me to call right away. The news was not good. Praying it was nothing to do with my parents or Brian, I breathlessly listened. Quietly and calmly, just the same as years ago when she told me they pulled the plug on Michael, she told me that Jian Hong ge, my cousin, was in a motorcycle accident and died yesterday.

I was thunderstruck. Not Jian Hong ge. 

And it kept raining.



No, it was not one of my parents, not my sister, her husband, or B. But he was a husband. Son. Brother. Big brother to me, and to not a few others.
Life has a different meaning when death comes to the door.
Flashbacks of memories come trickling in -- He was always kind and protective. Always endearing in his bumbling but mature ways. I ached for his new wife of a few years, for his little sister. For his parents. For all of us.

One of the last memories I have was of him inviting me to come to his church to attend their Christmas service.

建宏哥哥, 雖然在世界不能看都你了, 我一天一定會跟你一起參加天堂的敬拜!

你的憂愁, 煩惱不見了!
希望你知道我們多麼 愛你.


 You will be missed.


Oh death! where is your sting? Oh grave! where is your victory?
Oh church, come into the light! Our God is not dead, He's alive, He's alive! 
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling over death by death
Come awake, come awake! Come and rise up from the grave.
Christ is Risen || Matt Maher

No comments:

Post a Comment