Tuesday, May 1, 2012

smile


I hesitated on the front steps, pausing to peer inside through the reflections on the glass doors to see how busy they were. I was taking my parents to see the Seventh Heaven picture studio, being in the area. It was busy in there. Seven was crouched on the ground talking to a couple seated on a low bench, showing them several samples of his work. He immediately recognized me and stood up to greet me. Tu zi also waved enthusiastically and exclaimed a greeting in my name. I felt the warmth seep in like a welcoming hug.

I walked my parents around the small space as they placed all the things they had seen in the pictures. As we meandered, an assistant came by and saw me. He looked at my face and then said, "Oh, it's the one from the States. I recognize you by your smile."

Although he probably knew it from editing all our photos, I like to think that there is something sweet about that statement, too.


"You're never fully dressed without a smile" -from Annie, the musical

No comments:

Post a Comment