Monday, May 14, 2012

Lessons from the beautiful island, 2

Gratefulness.

I would have to say this is something that grows with you as time goes on, and we are never "arrived" at learning all there is on gratefulness. But there is an element of contentment in the gratefulness that I've learned here. I remember the perplexing quandary I faced with the issue of where to live, and I realized that the place I chose was indeed what God wanted, with a purpose, despite the setbacks I faced. So I am grateful.

In spite of the poor lighting.

In spite of the millipedes, spiders, and geckos.

In spite of the ants crawling in my bed.

In spite of the mold-causing humidity.

In spite of the remoteness of location.

I learned to live with all these things (except the mold--folks, I highly recommend a dehumidifier if you have this problem), and it was okay because I knew I was where God wanted me to be. I learned to be grateful for a roof over my head, a fan to cool the stifling air, and a desk lamp to light my writing space.

I am also grateful for mosquito zappers


On a larger scale, I learned that thankfulness is also an antidote to a number of things. I had a powerful encounter with thankfulness in prayer breaking down the walls of a judgmental heart. I experienced the freeing effect thankfulness had on separation anxiety and cow-country blues. Now I know why He says so often to be thankful.


Maybe I should have written about this one first, because the thankfulness Taiwan gave to me definitely played a part in growing my appreciation for people. Ah, well.

 "In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you." I Thess 5:18

1 comment:

  1. This was such a good reminder to me! I had begun to sink into complaining at everything and then I read this post the other day and was rebuked! Thank you! Much needed for me!

    ReplyDelete